Varicose veins are a common condition in adults and typically appear as enlarged and swollen veins on the feet and legs. Varicose veins are purple or blue in colour and can feel bumpy and look twisted.
If you have varicose veins, then you may also experience these symptoms:
- Legs that ache and feel uncomfortable or heavy
- Ankles and feet that swell
- A burning sensation in your legs
- Regular leg cramps, often during the night
- Thin, flaking and itchy dry skin over the affected area
- Leg ulceration
You can expect these symptoms to become worse when the weather is warm or if you have been stood up for a while. Walking around or raising your legs when you sit down can help to reduce them.