3T MRI SCANNING
The next generation in Diagnostic Imaging equipment.
We have installed one of the best 3T MRI’s in the UK to ensure you receive the best possible results and most accurate diagnosis.
BENEFITS OF 3T MRI
You may well have been recommended by a Consultant to have a 3T MRI at Prime Health or just looking to find the perfect facility for your scan? Well apart from the fact that you will be taken care of extremely well, there are some distinct advantages in having a 3T MRI at our Centre compared to a normal 1.5T MRI scan:
• It produces significantly sharper and more detailed images than a 1.5T machine.
• Scanning is much quicker, usually taking 15-20 minutes, which is half the time of a normal 1.5T MRI.
• Our scanner has a wide bore and short tunnel meaning less of the body needs to be inside the machine.
• Specialist Cartilage Mapping technology allows greater insight into problems involving the lining of joints.
• MARS (metal artifact reduction) software means that clients with existing metal implants or screws can still have perfectly viewable scans.
• The imaging quality is so clear it reduces the need for contrast injections in many cases.
We will ask you to arrive about 15 minutes before your allocated scan time so that you can relax with a drink and complete a Registration Form and MRI Safety Questionnaire. One of our specialist Radiographers will then explain the MRI process and take you through to the Diagnostic Suite to get changed and remove all metal items as necessary.
Once inside the MRI room our Radiographer will try and make you as comfortable as possible for the duration of the scan. As the MRI can be a little noisy, you will be offered some headphones and a choice of music to listen to but please feel free to bring your own CD’s or iPod to plug in if you have a particular favourite in mind.
As above the general rule is that it takes about 15-20 minutes per body area that requires scanning, so you if you require 2 parts (both knees) or 3 parts (whole spine) then you get some idea of how long the scanning process will take. If you have any queries about that the Radiographers will take you through it all again on the day.
Once your MRI scan has been completed and you have collected your belongings, you will be handed a copy of your scan on a disk to take with you. The scan images will then be viewed and reported on by one of our experts Radiologists and we will forward the results onto the referring clinician within a couple of days. Your MRI images will be kept safe and secure, so if you ever need another copy then we can access them easily.