What is an ultrasound guided injection?
An injection is given to reduce inflammation and pain within a joint. They’re frequently recommended for people with rheumatoid arthritis and other types of inflammatory arthritis including gout and pseudo gout. They may also be recommended for osteoarthritis if your joints are very painful or if you need pain relief in addition to your normal medication
Ultrasound is a type of imaging that uses high-frequency sound waves. The Ultrasound probe is a little like a radar device that detects the sound waves that are bounced back from different structures in the body, producing an image on a monitor. An ultrasound scan can detect needles inserted into the body and therefore can be used target your injection and to exactly the right spot.
An injection into a joint is called an intra-articular injection, and it’s made up of a corticosteroid combined with a local anaesthetic to reduce your discomfort. It can be directed into or around the joint to reduce swelling (inflammation), stiffness and pain.
If you have pain or inflammation near an affected joint, you’ll probably be given an injection into this tender area rather than the joint. This is called a periarticular or soft tissue injection.
An injection directly into a muscle is called an intramuscular (IM) injection.
You may be interested in…
Find out more about how to manage joint pain and the treatment options available in our blog article “A guide to managing joint pain and pain management techniques”.
Ultrasound Guided Steroid Injections
Ultrasound-guided steroid injections with Prime Health can help reduce inflammation and provide significant pa...
- View and download our Patient Leaflet for Ultrasound Guided Injection at Prime Health
- What is the benefit of having an ultrasound-guided steroid injection?
- What is an ultrasound-guided steroid injection?
- How safe is an ultrasound-guided steroid injection?
- How quickly does it take for a steroid injection to start working?
- How long does the effects of an ultrasound-guided steroid injection last?
- Are there any risks when having an ultrasound-guided steroid injection?
- Do I need a referral for an ultrasound-guided steroid injection?